BYD Company Limited: A Case Review
41 Pages Posted: 12 Apr 2014
Date Written: March 31, 2010
This case article review primarily aims to provide solutions on how BYD will penetrate and to create brand awareness to the U.S. market, with emphasis of introducing its plug-in hybrid electric vehicle and all-electric vehicle models.
Specifically, it seeks to answer the following questions:
1) What is the current market situation in the United States in terms of: 1.1 Market share of existing automobile industry 1.2 Sales of private vehicles 1.3 Market share of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and all-electric vehicles 1.4 Sales of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and all-electric vehicles
2) What are the different problems that may be encountered by the company BYD in penetrating the U.S. Market? 2.1. sale of its plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (F3DM dual mode) 2.2. sale of its all-electric vehicle (E6)
3) What are the different market development strategies that may be employed by BYD in order to penetrate the U.S. Market? 3.1. plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (F3DM dual mode) 3.2. all-electric vehicle (E6)
4) What conclusions and recommendation which may be derived from the case article review?
The proponent intends to achieve the following objectives for this case article review:
1) Create brand awareness to the U.S. market through niche marketing.
2) Within the year 2012, BYD Automobile will increase visibility in selected areas of the United States, particularly the state of California
It is admitted that the foundation of the electric vehicle industry is not yet stable. Battery manufacturing, car assembly, and even establishment of charging stations and utilities have to be completed in order to make the electric vehicle industry positive for release in the market. Nevertheless, we should take into consideration that the government of the United States and China are exerting firm efforts to make sure that the electric car industry be stable within the year 2015. That is why BYD is taking the big leap in penetrating the market for a technologically advanced and environmental friendly product, a plug-in hybrid vehicle and an all-electric vehicle, all with the end in view of saving the environment and becoming the world’s No. 1 car manufacturer by 2025.
Keywords: BYD Company, Case Review, Electric Car Industry, Automobile, Manufacturing
JEL Classification: L2, L62, L91, M11, N75, O32, O53
Suggested Citation: Suggested Citation